Lt Gen (Dr) Ashok Kumar Hooda (Retd)
MBBS, MD (General Medicine), DM (Nephrology), FISN
- Lt Gen (Dr) Ashok Kumar Hooda served in the Army Medical Corps
for 39 years in various capacities, as a clinician, teacher and administrator. He is a specialist in Internal Medicine and Nephrology with vast experience in medical administration in the Armed Forces Medical Services.
- He is a graduate and post-graduate from Armed Forces Medical
College (AFMC), Pune and did his DM in Nephrology from All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi.
- During his service in the Army Medical Corps, he served on deputation with the Botswana Defence Force as a Physician for three years (1993-96) and his contribution in the care of the sick at a time when Botswana as a nation was worst affected by HIV, was widely appreciated and acknowledged.
- He was the Head of the Departments of Medicine and Nephrology at the apex Armed Forces Hospital i.e. Army Hospital (Research & Referral), Delhi where he handled a very active renal transplant programme. He also served as Consultant in Medicine & Nephrology at Command Hospital (Central Command) Lucknow and Command Hospital (Eastern Command) Kolkata. At these institutions, he has trained and guided post-graduate residents in Medicine and Nephrology for two decades. He has been an examiner for MD Medicine for Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, West Bengal University of Health Sciences and Pandit Bhagwat Dayal Sharma Post-graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Rohtak. He is also an examiner for DNB (Nephrology).
- He has been a keen researcher and undertaken several research projects and has also held the appointment of Additional Director General Armed Forces Medical Services (Medical Research). He has been active in the national professional bodies of Nephrology as a speaker and has more than 40 publications in various national and international journals and text books. He was conferred the Fellowship of the Indian Society of Nephrology in 2014.
- After serving in multiple appointments in the HR, Training, Research and Health branches of the Armed Forces Medical Services, having served as Deputy Director General Medical Services (Personnel), Additional Director General Armed Forces Medical Services (Medical Research, Health and Training) and Director General (Organization & Personnel), he superannuated from the Army Medical Corps from the appointment of Director General Medical Services (Army) after serving as the Director General at the challenging time of the Corona pandemic. He was appointed as the President’s Honorary Surgeon in 2020.
- He assumed the appointment of Director, Janakpuri Super Speciality Hospital on 20th December 2021.